1. Kanj M, Mitic W. Health literacy and health promotion, definitions, concepts and examples in Eastern Mediteranean Region. 7th Global Conference on Health Promotion Promoting Health and Development: Closing the Implementation Gap: 2009 October 26-30 Nairobi, Kenya
2. North Carolina Institute of Medicine. Just What Did the Doctor Order? Addressing Low Health Literacy in North Carolina [Online]. 2007. Available from: URL: http://www.nciom.org/wp-content/uploads/NCIOM/projects/ health_literacy/Preface.pdf.
3. Vahedian-Shahroodi M, Mohammadi F, Tehtani H. A review of studies in the field of knowledge and safe behaviors of workers in Iran. Journal of Health Literacy.Spring 2016;1(1): 25-38
4. Williams MV, Parker RM, Baker DW, Coates W, Nurss J. The impact of inadequate functional health literacy on patients' understanding of diagnosis, prescribed medications, and compliance. Academic Emergency Medicine 1995; 2: 386
5. Paasche-Orlow MK, Parker RM, Gazmararian JA, Nielsen-Bohlman LT, Rudd RR. The prevalence of Limited health literacy. J Gen Intern Med 2005; 20(2):175–84.
6. Reisi M, Javadzade H, Mostafavi F, Tavassoli E, Sharifirad Gh. Health Literacy and Health Promoting Behaviors among OlderAdults. J Health Syst Res 2013; 9(8):827-836
7. Peerson A, Saunders M. Health literacy revisited: what do we mean and why does it matter? Health Promotion International 2009;24(3):285-296.
8. Kickbusch L, Wait S, Maag D. Navigating Health: the Role of Health Literacy . International Encyclopedia of Public Health. 2008; 3: 204-211
9. Chew L D, Bradley K A. Brief questions to identifypatients with inadequate health literacy. Fam Med 2004;36(8):588-594.
10. Downey La Vonne A, Zun Leslie S. Assessing adult health literacy in urban healthcare settings. Journal of the National Medical Association 2008;100(11):1304-1308.
11. Ferguson B. Health literacy and health disparities the role they play in maternal and child health. Nursing for Women’s Health. 2008;12(4):288- 298.
12.Montazeri A, , Mahmoud Tavousi, Fateme Rakhshani, Seyed Ali Azin, Katayoun Jahangiri, Mahdi Ebadi,et al. Health Literacy for Iranian Adults (HELIA): develoment and psychometric properties. Payesh 2014;13:589-599.
13. Andrus M R, Roth M T. Health literacy: A review. Pharmacotherapy 2002;22(3):282–302.
14. Downey La Vonne A, Zun Leslie S. Assessing adult health literacy in urban healthcare settings. Journal of the National Medical Association 2008;100(11):1304-1308.
15. Headley A J, Harrigan J, Using the pregnancy perception of risk questionnaire to assess health care literacy gaps in maternal perception of prenatal risk. Journal of The National Medical Association 2009;101(10): 1041-1045.
16. Paasche-Orlow MK, Parker RM, Gazmararian JA, Nielsen-Bohlman LT, Rudd RR. The prevalence of Limited health literacy. J Gen Intern Med 2005; 20(2):175–84.
17. Von Wagner C, Knight K, Steptoe A, Wardle J. Functional health literacy and health-promoting behaviour in a national sample of British adults. J Epidemiol Community Health 2007;61(12):1086-90.
18. Shoou-Yih D Lee ,Tzu-I Tsai ,Yi-Wen Tsai ,Ken N Kuo . Health literacy, health status, and healthcare utilization of Taiwanese adults: results from a national survey BMC Public Health 2010, 10:614.
19. Tehrani Banihashemi S, Amir Khani A, Haghdoust A, Alavian M, Asghari Fard H, Baradaran H.Health literacy in five province and relative effective factors. Strides in Development of Medical Education. 2007;4(1):1-9.
20.Cho YI, Lee S-YD, Arozullah AM, Crittenden KS. Effects of health literacy on health status and health service utilization amongst the elderly. Soc Sci Med 2008;66(8):1809-16.
21. Parker R. Health literacy: a challenge for American patients and their health care providers. Health promotion International 2000; 15(4): 277-83.
22. National Work Group on Literacy and Health. Communicating with patients who have limited literacy skills. Report of the National Work Group on Literacy and Health. J of Fam Pract 1998, 46(2): 168-76.
23. Tol A., Pourreza A. Tavasoli E. Rahimi Foroshani A. Determination of knowledge and health literacy among women with type 2 diabetes in teaching hospitals of TUMS Tehran University Of Medical Sciences:1391;11(3):45-52.
24. Rosenthal MS, Werner MJ, Dubin NH. The effect of a literacy training program on family medicine residents. Fam Med 2004; 36(8):582-7.
25. Reisi M, Mostafavi F, Hasanzade A, Sharifirad GR. The Relationship between Health Literacy, Health Status and Healthy Behaviors among Elderly in Isfahan, Iran. Health system research journal 2011; 7(4): 469-80.
26. Lee SY, Tsai TI, Tsai YW, Kuo KN. Health Literacy, Health Status, and Healthcare Utilization of Taiwanese Adults: Results from a National Survey. BMC Public Health 2010; 10: 614.
27. Hardie NA, Kyanko K, Busch S, Losasso AT, Levin RA. Health Literacy and Health Care Spending and Utilization in a Consumer-Driven Health Plan. J Health Commun 2011; 16 (Suppl 3): 308-21.
28. Baker DW, Parker RM, Williams MV, Clark WS, Nurss J. The Relationship of Patient Reading Ability to Self-Reported Health and Use of Health Services. Am J Public Health. 1997; 87(6): 1027–30.