Assesse the Health literacy in Multiple Sclerosis patients


1 Pediatric nursing group, Faculty of Nursing and midwifery school, Abhar School of Nursing, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran.

2 Elderly adult nursing group, faculty of nursing and midwifery school, Qazvin university of medical science,Qazvin, Iran

3 MSc in Biostatistics, Faculty of Health, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.

4 Student of Pediatric Nursing, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.

5 Midwifery group, faculty of nursing and midwifery school, Qazvin university of medical science, Qazvin, Iran.


Background and objective: Health literacy is one of the major determinants of health and is one of the important factors in chronic diseases such as MS. The aim of this study was to evaluate the Health Literacy Association with health behaviors and health care utilization.

Methods: This study was a cross-sectional study in which 100 patients with multiple sclerosis diseases selected by the convenience sampling in Qazvin hospital. Respondents completed the Rapid Estimate of Adult Literacy in Medicine, revised (REALM-R) and the Newest Vital Sign (NVS) instrument. For statistical analysis, we used logistic and ordinal regression and Kruskal-Wallis and Mann-Whitney tests.

Results: Mean age of the subjects was 33/43±8/53 years. On the NVS, 63% of respondents had a high likelihood of inadequate literacy and 26% had borderline health literacy and 11% had adequate health literacy. On the Realm-r, 7% had inadequate literacy and 93% had adequate health literacy, Using logistic regression the frequency of alcohol consumption and using cigarette (p<0/05) and level of education (p-value=0/045) were associated with higher odds of having inadequately health literacy as assessed by the Realm-r. There was a significant correlation between Realm-r health literacy (p value=0/007) and NVS (p-value=0/005) with visits to the emergency room (ER), and hospitalizations in the last 6 months.

Conclusion: Based on the results of the current study it is necessary to pay more attention to the health literacy level of the affected people and promote it in health programs and health promotion.

Paper Type: Research Article.


1-Zamani N, Barati F, Jahangir A, Zamani S . Effectiveness of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy on Mental Health in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis Health Research Journal, 2016;1(4):215-223.

2-Król J, Szcześniak M, KoziarskA D, Rzepa T., (2015). Time perception and illness acceptance amongremitting-relapsing multiple sclerosispatients under treatment Psychiatr. Pol. 2015; 49(5): 911–920.
3- Yousefi A, Shaghaghi F, Dehestani M,  Barghi Irani Z., The Relationship between Quality of Life (QoL) and Psychological Capital with Illness Perception in MS Patients ., Health Psychology/ Vol1. No1/ Spring 2012.

4-Rieckmann P, Boyko A, Centonze D,  Elovaara E, Giovannoni G,Havrdova E,  Hommes O,Kesselring J,Kobeli G, Langdon D,  LeLorier J, AMorrow S, Guevara C, Schippling S,Thalheim C,Thompson H,Vermersch P.,(2015) Achieving patient engagement in multiple sclerosis: A perspective from the multiple sclerosis in the 21st Century Steering Group., Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders.4., 202–218.

5-Payamani F,Miri M. Survey of Symptoms and Side Effects in Patients With Multiple Sclerosis. Research-Analytical Journal of Aligoudarz School of Nursing. 2012; 2 (2 and 3) :45-50

6-EydiBaygi M, Mehrabizade M, Davoudi I, Ahmadi V, Dehghanizade Z. [Comparison the quality of life in patients with diabetes type 2 and non-diabetic individuals]. Scientific J Ilam Univ Med Sci. 2014;22(5):55-62.

7-Kooshyar  H,  Shoorvazi  M, Dalir  Z,  Hosseini  M.,(2014) Health Literacy and its Relationship with Medical Adherence and Health-Related Quality of Life in Diabetic Community-Residing Elderly ., J Mazand Univ Med Sci 2014; 24(Supple 1): 134-143.

8-Izadirad H, Niknami S, Zareban I, Hidarnia A, Masoudy G. Relationship between health literacy and prenatal care in young pregnant women. J Health Lit. 2017; 2 (3) :141-147.

9-Carollo S, Low health literacy in older women: the influence of patient-clinician relationships, Geriatr Nurs. 2015; 36(2): 38-42.
10-Sheikh Sharafi H, Seyed amini B. Assessment of health literacy and self-care in heart failure patients . J Health Lit. 2017; 1 (4) :203-219.

11-World Health Organization. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health: Commission on Social Determinants of Health finalreport. Geneva: World Health Organization,; 2008.

12-Javadzade H , Sharifirad GH , Reisi M , Tavassoli E , Rajat F. Health Literacy among Adults in Isfahan, Iran. Journal of Health System Research, 2013;9(5):540-549.

13 -Kale M, Federman A, Krauskopf K, Wolf M, Conor R, Martynenko M,Leventhal H,Wisnivesky.,(2015) The Association of Health Literacy with Illness and Medication Beliefs among Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease J,PLoS ONE 10(4): e0123937. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0123937.

14-Reisi M, Mostafavi F, Javadzade H, Mahaki B, Tavassoli E, Sharifirad G. Communicative and Critical Health Literacy and Self-Care Behaviors in Patients with type 2 diabetes ijdld. 2016; 14 (3) :199-208.

15-Baker DW, Gazmararian JA, Williams MV, Scott T, Parker RM, GreenD, et al. Functional health literacy and the risk of hospital admission among Medicare managed care enrollees. Am J Public Health. 2002;92(8):1278-83.

16-Weiss BD, Palmer R. Relationship between health care costs and very low literacy skills in a medically needy and indigent Medicaid population. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2004;17(1):44-7.

17- Jokar F, Yousefi H , Yousefy A, Sadeghi M.,(2015) Behavioral Change Challenges in the Context of Center-Based Cardiac Rehabilitation: A Qualitative Study . Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2015 June; 17(6): e27504.

18- Haun J,Patel N,French D,Campbell R, Bradham D, Lapcevic W.,(2015) Association between health literacy and medical care costs in an integrated healthcare system: a regional population based study., BMC Health Services Research (2015) 15:249

19-Paasche-Orlow MK, Parker RM, Gazmararian JA, Nielsen-Bohlman LT, Rudd RR. The prevalence of limited health literacy. J Gen Intern Med. 2005;20(2):175-84
20-Mantwill S, Monestel-Umaña S, Schulz PJ .,(2015). The Relationship between Health Literacy and Health Disparities: A Systematic Review. PLoS ONE 10(12): e0145455. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.

21-Perez A.,(2015) Acculturation, Health Literacy, and Illness Perceptions of Hypertension among Hispanic Adults. J Transcult Nurs. 26(4):386-94

22-Bass P, Wilson J, and  Griffith C. A Shortened Instrument for Literacy Screening. J Gen Intern Med. 2003 Dec; 18(12): 1036–1038.
23- Marrie R, MD,  Salter A,  Tyry T,  Fox R, and Cutter G., (2014) Health Literacy Association With Health Behaviors and Health Care Utilization in Multiple Sclerosis: A Cross-Sectional Study, Interact J Med Res.; 3(1): e3.

24-Ghanbari S,Majlessi F,Ghafari M,Mahmoudi-Majdabadi M.Evaluation of health literacy of pregnant women in urban health centers of shahid beheshti medical university.Danesh var medicine.2011;19(97):1-13.

25- Panahi R, Ramezankhani A, Tavousi M, Osmani F, Niknami S. The relationship between low health literacy and knowledge and attitude towards the harms of smoking in dormitory students . J Health Lit. 2017; 2 (3) :131-140.

26-Sajjadi H,Hossein pour N,Sharifian sani M,Mahmoodi Z ,Association between health literacy and life style in married rural women in izeh, Iran.Journal of health,2016;7(4):479-489.

27-Osbom CY,Passsche OM,Bailey SC,Wolf MS.The mechanisms linking health literacy to behavior and health status.Am J Health behave,2011;35(1):118-128.

28- Cho YI, Lee SY, Arozullah AM, Crittenden KS. Effects of health literacy on health status and health service utilization amongst the elderly. SocSci Med. 2008;66(8):1809-16.
29-Hardie NA, Kyanko K, Busch S, Losasso AT, Levin RA. Health literacy and health care spending and utilization in a consumer-driven health plan. J Health Commun. 2011;16 Suppl 3:308-21

30-Seyedoshohadaee M, Kaghanizade M, Nezami M, Hamedani B, Barasteh S. The Relationship Between Health Literacy And General Health In Patients With Type 2 Diabetes. ijdld. 2016; 15 (5) :312-319

31-Tehrani Banihashemi S, Amirkhani M A, Haghdoost A A, Alavian S, Asgharifard H, Baradaran H, et al . Health Literacy and the Influencing Factors: A Study in Five Provinces of Iran. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2007; 4 (1) :1-9